I noticed recently that if you press the PDA power button on an at&t TILT during a sound event (such as the slider sound or new message sound alert), the sound will immediately stop where it is, but when you press the power button again, the PDA will resume right where it left off, sounds and all. I have a habbit of sliding my TILT closed quickly and immediately pressing the power button. When I do this, the PDA powers off mid-sound, and then when I press the button again, it powers on and plays the remaining part of the sound. This is not a problem by any means, it just interests me and gives me some insight into how this software was designed.
Today is a sad day, its a day of separation, of death (tech people call it “end of life”) and severe sorrow as I accept the death of my TILT. For a little over a month now I’ve had an at&t TILT and really enjoyed it. I loved the crisp call quality, and sturdy feel of the well built phone. The Windows Mobile 6 features and cool apps and customizations I had were really something special.
I called at&t and they won’t replace the phone since it was physically damaged. I then called HTC and they said they were not yet prepaired to repair the TILT since its so new. They couldn’t even find my part numbers in their database yet. So at this point in time, I have a $1000 phone thats functioning as a paper-weight.
My TILT came pre-loaded with a trial of MobiTV. I got an e-mail today that had an advertisement for the Free App Friday from Handango and they are giving away the full version of MobiTV today only. This is a great little app and a great price! Go here to get it!
Ok, I did more testing this weekend and have found the following relating to the TILT by at&t.
1. I thought the camera was pretty bad, but found that if you give the room proper lighting, it actually works well and takes ok pictures for a phone. Same goes for video, the video was choppy and really bad with the frame rates, until I discovered that if I had good lighting in the room I was recording in, the video also looked pretty good.
2. The HTC Home plugin was causing my phone to switch to vibrate on its own at what I thought was a random schedule, however it turns out that any time I had a calendar items that marked me as busy, it would set the device to vibrate even if the “auto” setting wasn’t being used. This was very annoying, and I was able to find a different build of the HTC home plugin in the xda developers forums to get rid of this issue. Only now the plugin seems a little hesitant to start up after a reboot, I have to go into my today settings and tap ok again to make the plugin appear. Minor complaint, since the vibrate issue is fixed.
3. I highly recommend the Kaiser Tweak app from xda, it quickly lets you apply many tweaks to the phone.
4. The HHC Home plugin customizer is a must! It makes configuring the home plugin much easier and quickly helps you customise your icons and other options.
Well sadly I discovered today that my beloved HTC Home plugin for my ATT Tilt is the cause of a minor issue. It seems to randomly switch my phone to vibrate. Obviously this is a problem, and the only solution so far is to uninstall the 6 button home plugin and install the more limited 3 button home plugin. I really don’t want to do that downgrade, as I love having the favorite people button and quick ringer type change options. I am going to keep digging for a solution but I’m not sure if it will get fixed anytime soon. So far I have found very few instances of people with the TILT having this issue, I guess most of them found the 3 button plugin easier or happen to find it first. It did take me some time to locate the 6 button plugin, since I had to dig pretty deep in some forums to find it.
I have had the TILT with at&t for about a week now. I have to say this is the best phone I have used to date. Here are some highlights of why I like this device..
1. Its sleek and visually cool looking, coloring is modern and glossy.
2. The weight of the phone is indicative of being well built, it feels sturdy and tough.
3. It has plenty of onboard memory; you can customize the device, install apps and have plenty of onboard memory left without the need of a storage card.
4. Onboard GPS radio is neat; this is my first phone with true onboard GPS. A perk is that both Google maps and windows live search work with the onboard GPS radio for free.
5. The speed of this device to a data network is amazing. Over HSDPA I can download at nearly 1mbps which is not bad, although this connection is theoretically capable of much faster sped, but it’s still way better than EDGE!
6. You can use this device as a wireless modem, so when you travel or go somewhere that doesn’t offer free internet access, you can connect over Bluetooth to a laptop and get on the internet for free using your phone’s data plan.
7. Windows mobile 6 pro seems much more stable and visually attractive.
8. Battery life is not bad, in one day I am only using less than 50% of the battery with normal to light usage.
9. You can be on the phone and receive e-mail and use the data connection at the same time. No longer does using the phone disable all other radios on the device. You can now get important e-mail while talking on the phone.
10. Mobility! I can browse the web, make a blog post, track my position with GPS, take pictures, connect to wifi, use bluetooth devices, conect to VPN, run Citrix applications and sooooo much more, all while on the go.
There is more I will post about this device later, but those are the main points…
I really like my new Tilt from at&t. I’ve added some plugins and tweaks which make this an awesome device. I’ll post more of a thorough review later, but I really love the HTC home plugin. I also have GPS and various other apps that definately make this the most reliable, stable, usable, and fun phone I’ve used to date.
Its been a busy two weeks and I have not posted much to my blog lately. So here is an update starting with the weekend we went to Orlando…
On Saturday October 6th we drove up to Orlando and stayed at the Hilton resort at Disney. My aunt and uncle put us up at the hotel to spend some time with them while they were in town for a conference. We got to the hotel sometime around 4:30 or so. We grabbed some dominos pizza for dinner and Liz’s sister Christina came over to visit for a while. My aunt and uncle arrived later that night and we visited for a while until after midnight.
Sunday we got up and went out to breakfast at a waffle house. Once we were done eating we headed back to the hotel to get ready to go to Downtown Disney. On the way back to the hotel, we saw an IHOP which we would have all preferred, but didn’t know was right there. We got back to the room and got ourselves ready to go and walked over to the Downtown Disney marketplace. We walked around a little and let the kids play at the lego store and checked out some neat things they had setup on the street.
The kids rode a train around a little, and we got some cute pictures of that. They also rode a merry-go-round which they always love. Then we headed over ot the Rain Forrest cafe for lunch. That place is really neat, and has a unique atmosphere and awesome decorations and effects. Every 30 minutes there is a thunderstorm and the animals go wild and they flash lights, etc. Its a lot of fun, the staff are friendly and the food was good.
We walked around a little more and ultimately headed back to the hotel to go swimming. The kids and uncle David beat us all down to the pool, and when I got there, they were already in the water. I tested the water with my toe and found it a little cold for my liking, so I took advantage of the cool breeze and occasional sun to get a little rest on a lounge chair. I had just started to doze while the kids were playing in the pool, when I was awaken by the sensation of rain drop on my face. We got our stuff together and herded the kids under an umbrella and got ourselves ready to go back into the hotel. We got back to the room and changes and visited a little more, and by this time it was after 5pm, so we decided to get ready to go soon. I think we left close to 6 or so, and the rain actually stopped which was good, because traffic would have been slow if it had kept raining. We were home before 7 and got to crash for a bit before getting all the kids off to bed.
Then this past weekend, the 13th and 14th, we actually had a nice productive time at home. Liz and I got a good amount of yard work done and trimmed bushes and cleaned up, which was good. Sunday we spent the bulk of the afternoon at Bonnie Brae park in Temple Terrace, hanging out with friends and letting our kids play. It was a very nice evening and the weather was perfect! The kids played on the playground, and the adults visited and played with their kids. It was very relaxing.
Sunday morning I had a problem with my new phone (the tilt). I set my phone to vibrate in the morning and later it went off so I pulled it out of the holster to check and the screen was all washed out and practically un-usable. I tried to call AT&T about it, but the office I needed to talk to was closed until Monday. So Monday I called and they are sending me a replacement, which I should have by tomorrow (Wednesday). I hope this is not a bad batch of phones and just a strange fluke with the individual unit I received.
On Thursday I received an equipment upgrade I ordered from at&t. My initial impressions were good, I liked the phone and fatures and only observd a few small gripes, but most are personal perference issues. Then on Sunday morning I turned my phone on vibrate and put it in my holster. Later that morning it vibrated so I picked it up and found it was powered off. I powered it back on only to get a message about the SIM door being unlocked and the phone was going to automatically shut off. I re-seated the SIM card, locked the SIM door and powered it back on. All this time I had not noticed that the display was all washed out and unreadable. It won’t display any colors and there are lines or streaks through the dispay. I didn’t damage the phone, there was no vibration or moisture damage, I didn’t drop it or mistreat it. It was fine Saturday night, and then Sunday morning after turning on Vibrate, the screen got washed out. There must be some sort of wiring issue or short somewhere inside the phone. I called ATT this morning and they are shipping me a new phone which I should have by Wednesday.