Registry battle with itunes

Recently I had a small battle with itunes on my laptop.  I have a fairly large music and podcast library and anytime I have trouble with itunes it makes me nervous.  Fortunately the issue wasn’t as bad as I thought.  It all started when I tried to install itunes through the apple updater software.  Half way through the install of the new update, I receive a registry error saying I didn’t have access to the “pcast” key.  This key is under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  The problem was that I didn’t have permissions to access they key, and wasn’t the owner.  I am ad administrator on my laptop so this was strange and it had always worked ok before.  After I received this error itunes rolled back to a semi-working state but none of my podcasts would download updates anymore.  This pcast key seems to be the key that controls the podcast client in itunes. 

I tried to gain ownership of the key and all subfolders but constantly received errors and was unable to do so using the check box to reset permissions and ownership on all child objects in the registry editor.  So I began to poke around in the subfolders, which I didn’t even see at first.  I tried to delete the key, got an error and then saw sub folders. 

To make this long story short, to fix this I had to do the following.  First, I had to try to delete every key and subkey I could find under the pcast folder.  Then I went into the permissions for each key and add my own user account not as an owner, but under general permissions.  I gave myself full control and did this for every subkey under the pcast folder.  After I did that, I was able to drill down to the bottom most key, and start deleting my way up.  Once you give yourself permissions on all subkeys you can delete the root pcast key.  I re-installed Itunes and its back to working like normal.  I guess I will be more cautious with auto udpates from now on.  And oh yeah, I made a full backup of my itunes configuration and preferences, as well as my library.  Thats important!

About Joe

I am the author of this blog, IT engineer, husband, father, and somewhat of a nerd.

Posted on August 8, 2008, in General, Podcasting, Products I use, Professional/Tech, Software, Technology. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Thanks for the info about manually changing permissions per subfolder! It's really helped me out!! You're a lifesaver!

  2. Thanks for the info about manually changing permissions per subfolder! It's really helped me out!! You're a lifesaver!

%d bloggers like this: