Server: Event ID 9646 (user exceeded maximum of 32 objects of the type session). Event ID 1021 (unable to connect…error 0x4de)
Client/Outlook: Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The Microsoft Exchange server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange server computer is down for maintenance. OWA would work ok when logged on as either the user or an Exchange admin account.
Google searches of the events and error messages yield very little help. A second round of google searching and pressing further through the search results yielded a page from MS indicating to ensure that the user had “view information store status” rights granted at the server or mailbox store level. This lead me to a diagnosis of permission problems on the mailbox.
Proceeded with treatment by administering re-application of full mailbox permissions for the user and ensuring “view information store status” was selected in the allow column. Attempting to open outlook again immediately after still yielded errors as described in the symptoms. It wasn’t until a few minutes later when about to attempt a different method of treatment that the solution was revealed. Before trying to create a whole new information store and move the user for testing, I decided to open outlook again. This time, it opened no problem and did not give any errors or show any signs of a problem. Apparently the original solution was the correct solution and the treatment was correct, I just didn’t wait long enough for the change to take effect. Further attempts to work on the problem would have been useless as the issues was already fixed, I just didn’t know it yet.
Posted on December 7, 2007, in Professional/Tech, Software and tagged computer, e-mail, exchange, Google, help, IP, LAN, media, Microsoft, network, old, OWA, parent, server, sing, tech, time. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Exchange diagnosis.