Surprise Weekend

This is going to be a rather long story. Its a tale of surprise and fun.

It all started on Thursday evening while I was at work. I was working on a server migration project involving Goodlink, when things took a turn for the worse. I was on the phone with Goodlink support almost all day. I was having a terrible time getting things to work properly, and ended up having to stay super late on Thursday, I didn’t leave the office until 11pm. I get in to work around 7:45am or so every weekday, so I was at work from 7:45am until 11m, which makes for a very long day! I finally got things stabalized with the help of Goodlink support and started on my way home. Once I got home, around 11:30pm, I walked in the door, hungry (since I hadn’t eaten anything) and tired (obviously), and so I sat down next to Liz who was sitting on the couch. I leaned over to give her a hello kiss, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye that startled me. It was my borhter Jeremy who’s hand was reaching up towards me in an attempt to surprise me! I jumped up off the couch in surprise and realized it was him. They were totally playing me and had even more surprised in store for me.

We talked for a bit and got a snack and a drink and finally went to bed around 12:30am. The next morning we got up around 8 or so, and I was still in bed when there was a ring at the doorbell. I had a suspicion as to who it might be, but Liz asked me to get the door, so I did and found my mom standing out on the porch. Turned out they had both flown in that Thursday morning and spent the day with Liz and the kids. I had to work late so it totally screwed up their surprise plans and they had to completely change around what they were going to do. So we got to spend the whole weekend (I took Friday off too) with my mom and Jeremy. Click more or the post title to read more about the weekend…

So on Friday morning, I made belgian waffles for breakfast and we all had a nice hot breakfast together. After that we played with the kids a bit and just spent the morning together. Just after lunch we got ready to go and headed off to the Aquarium to see the penguin show, which turned out to be only 2 penguins, but they bring them out and let you get right up close where you can touch them (althought they as that you don’t). We learned something we didn’t know about penguins, in that they can shoot their “Poop” over 4 feet away from their bodies, so the staff alerted all of us that we were within the “splatter zone”. We walked all through the Aquarium and took our time and were ready to leave about 4pm or so. We then went to the Kate Jackson park where we spent about an hour playing with the kids and pushing them on the swings. We grabbed some pizza from Dominos on the way home and had that for dinner. Then I started them on watching Heroes, I just turned it on and watched with Jeremy at first but Mom and Liz sat down and started watching a little, then they both came and sat down and it wasn’t long before mom was saying “Don’t start that without me”. She and Jeremy went Heroes crazy, and stayed up till very late all weekend watching Heroes episodes. I stayed up with them until Sunday night, since I had to be at work on Monday. They got caught up and a new episode is on tonight at 9 on NBC. Oh, one more thing for Friday, earlier that morning before we had lunch, I took Jeremy for a ride in the Miata. I took him down Fowler to the ramp to get on to 75N. Its a sharp full circle curve that I took at ~60MPH, my Miata hugs the road like the roadster it is and I really showed him a little of what its capable of. It was great fun and the ride was over way too soon for me 🙂

On Saturday, we spent more of the day at home, we had our big dinner that night and ended up making Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, and corn (My favorite). Liz and my mom made me a strawberr/oreo birthday cake, which was very good. We played a lot with the girls and spent the day together. Jeremy and I went to a racquetball court and played that for about 2 hours! It was great fun, great exercise and we had a blast. We were laughing the whole time. Jeremy hit all 3 of the balls I brought with up out of the court within the first 5 minutes of us being there. He made several trips outside of the court to get them. 🙂 It was a beautiful day and perfect for riding around with the top down in the Miata. I have never laughed so hard in my life, my throat was sore, I was rolling on the ground, it was so much fun. We did more laughing than playing. Heroes Saturday night was great in HD with the surround sound (although my mom didn’t like the volume level and doesn’t see the appeal to theatre like sound in your house).

Sunday we went to Lettuce Lake Park and pulled the kids around in the wagon they got for Christmas, and walked the nature trails. That was nice for about 30 seconds, until the kids started whining that they wanted to go play on the playground. So we walked back to the playground and my mom and Liz and the kids went off to the playground area to play. Jeremy and I started throwing the baseball around which was a hoot, but he kept throwing it past me and it would roll across the road into some bushes. I can’t recall how many times I had to run over there and get the ball. We got home after 5 and tried to figure out dinner. We ended up having some nasty caserole that I didn’t eat (I wasn’t hungry anyway). I had a piece of my cake and that was about it. Mom offered to buy us something, but we agreed that we would have the caserole and then try to get some dairy queen treats or something afterwards. We didn’t have time for that, so the kids played outside for a bit and then got baths and it was back to watching heroes that night. I got in the shower at 10:45 and went to bed as soon as I got done, but they stayed up (liz included) until after 2 or so, watching the last 2 episodes that would catch them up. So now they are current and might watch the new episode that airs tonight at 9.

Today, I’m back to work and struggling to get re-focused into my daily routine. Its going to be a hard adjustment, as this weekend was very relaxing (which was much needed after a day like Thursday). Its like coming back from vacation. We ended up having an awesome weekend and I think we all had a blast and got our dose of relaxation and physical exercise! I’m starting to feel a little sore today……

About Joe

I am the author of this blog, IT engineer, husband, father, and somewhat of a nerd.

Posted on February 12, 2007, in Family and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Surprise Weekend.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: