O2 Sensor change successful


After several days of thinking and internal debate, I finally bit the bullet and tried to replace my O2 sensor. I went to Advance auto the other day and had my computer code read, confirming it was the O2 sensor that was causing my check engine light to come on in the Miata. The OEM replacement was almost $150 but was plug and go easy. The universal sensors were much cheaper at anywhere from $30 to $80+ dollars. I ended up getting a kit from Advanced Auto that had the O2 sensor, the splice kit and connectors I needed. I also had to buy a 7/8ths wrench but that was it. I was easily able to extract the bad sensor, but wiring up the new sensor is a whole different story. The color patterns on the universal sensor were not the same as the OEM wires. This caused a great deal of confusion on my part and it took Liz and myself and a check on the miata.net forums to confirm the correct pattern to use. We finally deciphered the wiring pattern code and got everything in the right sequence. It took a while to get it all wired up, but once the splicing was done, it was a snap to install the new sensor. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal on the car, to reset the computer, then re-connected. A quick test drive confirmed that I had done the work correctly and the check engine light was gone! Now if I could just get up the nerve to attempt the valve cover gasket change!

Advertisements

About Joe

I am the author of this blog, IT engineer, husband, father, and somewhat of a nerd.

Posted on August 26, 2006, in Automotive and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on O2 Sensor change successful.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: